When Im not using a high end mascara I've always turned to Loreal for an amazing high street alternative. For as long as I can remember I went through stages of loving the Volume Million Lashes and Miss Manga. Then I fell for the False Lash Superstar which was my everyday alternative.
When I heard that Loreal had released Paradise Extatic and that it was supposedly a dupe for the Too Faced Better than Sex Mascara, I went crazy trying to look for it in the stores here and had no luck, so I had to wait months until I could get my hands on it when I was in London. ( I went crazy and bagged myself 3!)
I have long lashes and quite a few of them, but I always want more. I love a thick voluminous finish which doesn't look trashy and opens up my eyes for a bright awake look ! ( I can look a little tired if im not wearing mascara lol) The mascara needs to be long lasting and flake free.
The 6.4ml Mascara costs £11.99 at Boots (in the UK) and promises " Intense Volume" and "Spectacular Long Lashes" which sounds like my kinda lashes!
As you can see from the below before and after pics , the mascara really does give you volume and length! The brush is on the straight side being quite a traditional brush with smaller bristles which grip the lashes at the root, so it gives them a good coating all the way through. You can get a very good layer of the product in one coat with definite volume and lift. If you want to go even further, you can add a second layer, after the first has slightly dried (otherwise the lashes will get clumpy) I found that I was happy with just one layer of the product. The mascara didn't dry hard & crispy but was soft on the lashes, without being dry and flaky. The mascara also lasted all day with only a little bit of smudging near my bottom lash on some occasions.
So is the Loreal Paradise Extatic Mascara a dupe of the Better than Sex Mascara??
Ive been using the Better than Sex Mascara (BTSM) for a few years which has been my favourite non high street go to ( after YSL Shocking Mascara) so thats why I was excited to give the Paradise Mascara (PM) a go and see if it was anything like it.
In my opinion, both the mascaras give the same overall finished look but have some differences, other than just cost.
- The BTSM is nearly 2 times more expensive but it does give 1.6ml more product .
- The brush on the BTSM is bigger and curved in comparison and as much it coats the lashes just as well, I find that the brush is too big and I always get mascara dots all over my eyes. The PM is thinner and gives more accuracy and really grips the lashes from the root.
- The PM formula is thicker so you can get more coating in less strokes. However if you go over board it can get lumpy, so let it dry a little before more coats. The BTSM formula is a little lighter so it allows you to build the volume as you like.
- Both the mascaras create gorgeous volume and length
- I find the the BTSM can get a little flaky. I didn't experience that with the PM.
- The PM mascara dried soft on the lashes without crispy hard lashes, the BTSM dried a little crispier which then led to flaking.
- The packaging of both the mascaras are in my favourite colours but the PM does feel much lighter with the BTSM having a heavy tube making it feel more luxurious.
So there you have it! I love mascara and its one item that I feel I have to always wear to open up my eyes and make then look bigger. I have always stuck to favourites as I know that they work and do the job for me. I preferred to used the Loreal Paradise mascara mostly because it didn't flake as much and I felt the brush caught on to my lashes to giver a better coating. The Paradise Extatic mascara is a great new addition to the collection and although it is very similar to the Better Than Sex Mascara is still very unique in its own way.